President Donald Trump on Saturday continued his feud with Gov. JB Pritzker (D-IL) over crime in Chicago, warning the Illinois governor that a federal takeover of the city is “coming” if he cannot tackle the problem himself.
Trump, pointing to multiple shootings in the Windy City last weekend, trashed Pritzker as “CRAZY” for not wanting assistance, which could include the National Guard, in combating crime.
“Six people were killed, and 24 people were shot, in Chicago last weekend, and JB Pritzker, the weak and pathetic Governor of Illinois, just said that he doesn’t need help in preventing CRIME. He is CRAZY!!! He better straighten it out, FAST, or we’re coming!” Trump posted on Truth Social.
Trump and Pritzker have traded barbs over the last week as the president continues to tease a National Guard deployment to Chicago to crack down on crime and illegal immigration.
Trump has hurled insults at the Illinois governor, particularly over his weight, while Pritzker has responded by claiming that Trump is in a cognitive decline.
The new attacks from Trump come as Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson is already resisting a potential crime crackdown.
Earlier Saturday, he signed an executive order that seeks to tamp down the extent the Chicago Police Department can cooperate with the National Guard and seeks to protect city residents without legal status from federal removal, among other priorities.
LABOR DAY WEEKEND PROTESTS EXPECTED IN DC AREA
In comments to reporters, Johnson said he and Pritzker are in “complete alignment” on the resistance effort.
“We do not want to see tanks in our streets,” he said. “That’s not who we are as a city, and that’s not who we are as a nation.”